For several years, Liz Almeida-Sanborn has been lecturing to the Doctoral Candidates in the Springfield College Physical Therapy Program. On Friday, March 31, 2017, Liz provided a two-hour lecture to the students in the “Practice Management in Physical Therapy” course. The title of her lecture: “Physical Therapy in the Skilled Nursing Facility” provided students with valuable information and insight into:
- Rehabilitation services in a Skilled Nursing Facility.
- Patient characteristics of the SNF population.
- Understanding the different payer sources, reimbursement systems and requirements, including criteria for admission.
- An awareness of past and current legislation involving rehabilitation services in a SNF.
- Understanding keys to success for therapists working in a SNF, specifically the significance of documentation and outcomes.
- Understanding the importance of patient and professional advocacy.